Saturday, April 6, 2013

Lymph nodes, allergies and tonsils... Oh my!

Since Eli was about 8 months old he's had this HUGE swollen lymph node on the left side of his neck. I'd be lying if I said it didn't paralyze me with fear in those moments that he'd turn his head just right so that I could see it brazenly protrude from his neck.

For the past year we've been told "we'll keep an eye on it", "it's just a funny lymph node", "it'll go down eventually". I finally got sick of not having a more definitive answer and decided to schedule an appointment with an ENT, moreso for my peace of mind than anything else. Our appointment was today and I am happy to report that it is nothing "serious".

The ENT believes that Eli has allergies which are causing a constant environment of drainage and small infections in his sinuses. This would be a cause for the lymph node to always be enlarged.

The game plan is to wait til Eli turns three to get him allergy tested. For now we are giving him Zyrtec every night (plus I am giving him a tablespoon of raw honey everyday). The doctor also believes that Eli will need his tonsils taken out in the future, just like mama.

Anyway, there's an Eli update for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment