Thursday, February 23, 2012

Raising a Bookworm

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." ~Charles W. Eliot


At age 4 I learned to read. Not too much later, I fell in love with books.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I have the worst memory... but I still remember the first time I really fell in love with books. It might have been first grade? My teacher took me aside and filled my backpack with books to take home. I couldn't get enough. It was then that I was introduced to Amelia Bedilia. She became a companion in my early childhood where all I knew or understood was moving from one home to the next. I could always find her and she would always make me laugh.

Throughout the years those companions have changed: Alice, Elizabeth, Anne, and the girls from Dear America. Waldo, who was a bit more difficult to find. Then Macy, Harry and Hermione, Julie, and Loni. Now Katniss and Peeta, Sarah, and Tally.

My love for reading is something I hope to pass on to Eli.
I want him to be one of the few who raises his hand when the teacher asks, "Who likes to read?"; like I did.
I want him to quickly hide his book and flashlight under the covers when I come to check on him at night, like I did.
I want him to buy a book at a bookstore and take in that new book smell with a smile, like I do.
I want his favorite books to be worn in and dogeared, his favorite passages underlined, and covers falling off, like mine are.
And yes I even want him to resort to his kindle when he just can't wait to get his hands on a new book, like I do!

He is only 17 months, but it makes me smile whenever he brings me a book, sits in my lap, and looks down waiting for me to open up to the first page.
One day he will sit down with some of my "old friends" and I hope they make him as happy as they have made me.

No comments:

Post a Comment